Black Bean Burgers
- 2/3 dry black beans (2 cups once cooked)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 /4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp scotch bonnet sauce (optional)
- Soak the black beans in water overnight.
- Then boil in a large pan of water at least 2 inches above the beans for an hour until soft.
- Mash two thirds of the beans in a bowl with a potato masher or fork and put aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and peppers for a few minutes until just soft.
- Transfer the cooked veg to a large bowl, add the black beans (mashed and whole), breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, paprika, coriander, worcestershire sauce and scotch bonnet sauce if using and mix well. Lightly beat the egg and stir in to the bowl of ingredients.
- With damp hands, divide the mixture into four, form into balls and gently flatten slightly between the palms of your hands.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the frying pan on a medium heat. Place two of the burgers in to the pan and gently press down a little more so they resemble a burger shape.
- Cook on both sides for 3-4 minutes each until lightly browned
- Repeat for the remaining two burgers.
Serve in a bun of your choice with all the toppings or naked with a side salad