Posh Cheese Toastie
- 1 tbsp butter (plus extra for buttering)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml milk
- Fresh nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 160g cheese (ideally a cominabtion of welsh cheddar and gruyere)
- 4 tsps vegan worcestershire sauce (I used Annie’s)
- 5 or 6 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- A mustard of your choice ( I have used both old style mustard and country dijon before)
- Put the pasta into a large pan with boiling salted water and cook to the instructions on the packet. Also pop the broccoli into a pan of boiling water and cook for around 6 minutes. Drain both when done.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c/400f and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Lightly toast the bread on both sides.
- Heat your oven to 180C/350F. In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions and peppers for a few minutes until just softened.
- On a low to medium heat, melt the butter in a pan, and the flour and combine, then slowly whisk in the milk until you have a smooth sauce. Grate in some nutmeg and season to taste with salt and pepper. The sauce will thicken gradually as you continue to whisk.
- Butter each slice of toasted bread, pop onto the baking tray and spread mustard onto two slices. Spread half of your thickened bechamel on top of the slices with mustard, then sprinkle 3/4 of the grated cheese between them. Add the cherry tomatoes and 1 tsp of worcestershire sauce on each.
- Top with remaining slice of toasted bread (butter side down), spread the remaining bechamel on the toast and add the cheese. Add another 1 tsp of worcestershire sauce on top of each and pop into the oven. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and browned.
Serve with a side salad or even a tasty tomato salsa.